Bad Elf is Hiring in Scottsdale, AZ
Interested in working at Bad Elf? Get in touch! We are always interested in talking with passionate people who thrive in fast-pasted environments.
We are looking for full-time employees and intern/co-op students to fill the roles listed below.
Paid Internships / Co-ops (Part-time/Summer)
We’re looking for cross-discipline students pursuing degrees in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Design, Sales, or Communications. It would be helpful if you have a personal interest in using mobile devices like the iPad/iPhone in aviation, boating, or other outdoor activities.
In this role, you will work on new and existing products in a startup environment. Depending on your skills, interests, and what’s in our product pipeline, you may do some or all of the following:
- Talk with customers, resellers/distributors, or other industry partners
- Design new hardware including schematics, BOM, and PCB layout
- Assemble test fixtures and prototypes to validate new designs
- Develop application firmware, bootloaders, test fixtures
- Develop desktop and sever-side test tools
- Develop/design iOS apps to support our products
- Design product packaging, quick start guides, and marketing materials
- Attend trade shows
- Work with our manufacturing partners in Asia
We believe there is tremendous value in the internship/co-op/mentorship model, since it’s the foundation for the team that became Bad Elf. As an intern, we know you may not have much experience in the industry or your degree, and fully expect the position to be an investment by both sides. It’s a great way to learn both what you DO and DO NOT want to do for your long-term career. And if you’ve got an entrepreneurial bent, this position will give you a taste of what a profitable boot-strapped startup looks like from the inside.
We are very flexible regarding schedule, hours, start/end dates, and your school work. We expect some, but not all, internships to lead to an offer for full-time employment when you finish your degree. For students not local to the Scottsdale, AZ area you are expected to find your own housing and provide your own transportation, but we're willing to help coordinate such relocation tasks.
About You (All Positions)
- You’re a super smart engineer or designer, and enjoy problem solving.
- You’re a cool, easy going, nice person. Easy to get along with, and have a beer with.
- You care. You want things done right, and even if you you can’t achieve perfection today, you’re keeping a list of things to you want to re-visit tomorrow.
- You know when to ask for help, but you move forward to completion quickly and confidently when the path is clear.
- You’re naturally curious about new technologies and enjoy learning new things while balancing the needs of the business and project.
- You’ve built things on the side, and taken some of them to completion.
- Your co-workers or fellow classmates are often amazed at how much you accomplish.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Bad Elf GNSS receivers deliver affordable accuracy through easy-to-use hardware supported by continuously evolving firmware, apps, and cloud services. Founded in 2010, Bad Elf created the first Made for iOS external GPS accessory and now enables high performance location services for all mobile platforms.
Bad Elf embraced the gentle nudging of our customers toward the GIS market. This brought us right back to our roots in trying to learn everything we can about this market and bring our history of integrated hardware and software engineering to create happy customers. Many people think companies go into business to create products and services, but at Bad Elf we strive to create loyal customers – the products and services exist only as a means to that end.
Our founders worked together for years in a big three letter corporation engaging closely with customers to solve hard problems. As engineers, they live to challenge themselves and learn new things about how things work in the world around them. The essence of Bad Elf revolves around having a company that feeds that yearning for learning, but without forgetting the need for earning! Since the origination of Bad Elf over a dinner conversation in Stuttgart, Germany in the fall of 2009, the founders have added to the team by finding people to help them improve and expand the business by adding their unique talents, skills, and passions in these pursuits.
How to Apply
Send your resume (or transcript, if still in school) and preferably some links to cool projects you’ve worked on to firstname.lastname@example.org. No recruiters please.